Here, then, are six actions you have the right to take to state a business problem for this reason its solutions become clearer:
1. State the trouble in a sentence. A solitary sentence pressures you to extract the main trouble from a potentially facility situation. An instance of a problem statement: “We need to increase revenue through 25%.”
2. Do the trouble statement into a question.
You are watching: A problem well defined is half solved
turning the problem statement into a question opens up the mind come possibilities: “How carry out we rise revenue by 25%?”
3. Restate the question in 5 ways. If friend spin the question from a selection of perspectives, you will do it construct new questions the may carry out intriguing answers.
For instance, try asking: “How might we rise revenue through 25% in a month?” “How might we increase it by 25% in an hour?” “How might we rise it by 25% in a minute?” “What could we stop doing that might cause a 25% revenue increase?” “What ways deserve to we use our existing customer base to impact the increase?”
4. Provide yourself reasoning quotas. An arbitrary production quota provides you a much better shot at comes up through something usable, due to the fact that it keeps you thinking longer and also with greater concentration.
When ns asked you to “Restate the question 5 ways,” the was an instance of an arbitrarily quota. Yes nothing magical around five restatements. In fact, five is low. Ten, or even a hundred, would be far better.
5. Knock her questions. everything questions did you do it asked, i think they’re wrong-headed, or the you haven’t bring away them far enough.
You can ask, “Why do we require an 25% rise at all? Why no a 5% increase? A 500% increase? A 5,000% increase? What various other things in the organization might need to change that would be as essential as revenue?
6. Decision upon your new problem-solving question. based upon the reasoning you’ve already done, this step may not even be necessary. Often, when you look at your instance from enough angles, services pop up there is no much an ext effort.
See more: Driving Distance From Columbus Ohio To Nashville Tennessee Driving Distance
However, if girlfriend still have to pick a solitary question that summarizes her problem, and none seems perfect, pressure yourself to pick one that’s at the very least serviceable. Going front is far better than standing still.