This article is part of the series Top 5 Spanish Slang Words Searched on Google where we feature a full list of examples for:
1. Spanish slang for friend2. Spanish slang for weed3. Spanish slang for white person4. Spanish slang for cool5. Spanish slang for girl
Spanish Slang for Cool
The word cool in English is an adjective for temperature, but colloquially is hard to define. It is so difficult to find a formal definition that a group of medical researchers lead by a psychologist of the University of Rochester Medical Center conducted the study Coolness: An Empirical Investigation. In the study they found that “being cool” was “focused on positive, socially desirable traits, such as friendly, competent, trendy and attractive.”
Cool is also an interjection for “excellent” and it is also used to express acceptance or agreement.
You are watching: How to say you are cool in spanish
Spanish has equivalents for “cool” and they vary among countries. Here I have grouped a couple of examples from Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Mexico, Peru, Puerto Rico, Spain and Venezuela. The most common Spanish slang words for cool are bacán, bacano and chévere.
Spanish Slang for Cool in Argentina
4. es una masa
6. piolaIn addition to “cool,” this word also can be used in three more ways: 1) with it, on the ball, clever, astute. 2) nice, friendly. 4) calm, relaxed, stay in control.
7. sos un fenómenoUse this phrase to compliment another person meaning “You are great!” or “You are cool!”
Source: Speaking Argento: A Guide to Spanish from Argentina by Jared Romey
Spanish Slang for Cool in Chile
1. a todo cachete
3. buena onda
4. buena telaMeans “cool, good vibes” and describes either a situation or a person
7. cototo or cototudoThis word changes its meaning depending on the context: can be “cool, interesting, nice” or the opposite “hard, difficult”
9. entreteThis word comes from the abbreviation of the word entretenido.
11. grosso or groso
13. la cagóAnother word with double meanings: 1) awesome, sweet, cool, well done or 2) crap, poorly done.
14. la muerte
17. ¡qué chori!
18. ¡qué top! or topísimo
Source: Speaking Chileno: A Guide to Spanish from Chile by Jared Romey
Spanish Slang for Cool in Colombia
6. culoThis word literally means “ass” and is often used in the Caribbean coast of Colombia for “something cool or nice”
Source: Quick Guide to Colombian Spanish
Spanish Slang for Cool in Costa Rica
1. buena nota
2. buenazoThis word is only used in reference to things.
4. chivaThis word is only used in reference to things.
5. está legal
8. militarIn addition to “cool,” this word also is used to refer to a free-spirited person.
10. pura vidaPura vida is like the trademark word for Costa Rica that and used in different ways like “cool, good, excellent, awesome” or even to say “How it’s going?” Check out our full article Pura Vida: The most important phrase in Costa Rica.
11. tejaTeja is also commonly used as a denomination for 100, for example “one hundred Colones (Costa Rican currency)” or “one hundred years”
Source: Diccionario de Palabrotas y Coloquialismos Ticos: Dictionary of Costa Rican Slang by José Antonio González Ugalde
Spanish Slang for Cool in Dominican Republic
2. bacán or bacano
Source: Quick Guide to Dominican Spanish
Spanish Slang for Cool in Mexico
1. chido or chida
2. chingónThis word can be use in a positive way meaning “cool as shit, awesome as hell” and also to make reference to a guy with great skills. The third meaning is not positive because it can be a sneaky person that waits for someone else to do the job and then takes the credit.
See more: Anakin You Turned Her Against Me !, Best Anakin You Turned Her Against Me Gifs
4. padre, padrídismo or ¡qué padre!
5. que poca madreThis is one of those words that, depending on the context, the meanings are completely opposite: “that’s awesome, cool” or “that sucks, damn” as an expression of disapproval or disappointed
Source: Quick Guide to Mexican Spanish and Quick Guide to More Mexican Spanish
Spanish Slang for Cool in Peru
Source: Quick Guide to Peruvian Spanish and ¿Quién me llama?: Learn Peruvian Spanish Slang By Daniel McKay
Spanish Slang for Cool in Puerto Rico
1. brutalThis word can be used in two forms: For example: El concierto estuvo brutal meaning “cool, awesome” or El examen estuvo brutal. “too strong, too difficult”
4. gufeaoAlso spelled gufiao. This word comes from the English “goofy”
Source: Speaking Boricua: A Guide to Puerto Rico Spanish by Jared Romey
Spanish Slang for Cool in Spain
2. de puta madre
6. ¡qué caña!
7. ¡qué pasada!
Source: El español de la calle: Vocabulario coloquial by María Arnaldis
Spanish Slang for Cool in Venezuela
1. cartelúoUse in reference to things like for example, something that has a good quality, a good shape or looks, it is also applied to any pleasant situation
3. de pinga
5. nota or ¡qué nota!
Source: Quick Guide to Venezuelan Spanish and Quick Guide to More Venezuelan Spanish
Spanish Slang for Cool in Other Countries
1. chivo: El Salvador
2. prity: Panama
3. purete: Paraguay
4. ¡qué fresa!: Honduras
5. tuanis: Honduras
6. virgo: Guatemala
Source: Diccionario de Americanismos by Asociación de Academias de la Lengua Española" data-image-caption="" data-medium-file="https://www.snucongo.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Spanish-Slang-for-Cool-Infographic-400px-100x300.jpg" data-large-file="https://www.snucongo.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Spanish-Slang-for-Cool-Infographic-400px-341x1024.jpg" title="Infographic: Spanish Slang for Cool" alt="Infographic: Spanish Slang for Cool" width="400" height="1200" srcset="https://www.snucongo.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Spanish-Slang-for-Cool-Infographic-400px.jpg 400w, https://www.snucongo.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Spanish-Slang-for-Cool-Infographic-400px-100x300.jpg 100w, https://www.snucongo.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Spanish-Slang-for-Cool-Infographic-400px-341x1024.jpg 341w" data-src="http://snucongo.org//wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Spanish-Slang-for-Cool-Infographic-400px.jpg" data-sizes="(max-width: 400px) 100vw, 400px" class="size-full wp-image-58489 lazyload" src="https://www.snucongo.org/data:image/gif;base64,R0lGODlhAQABAAAAACH5BAEKAAEALAAAAAABAAEAAAICTAEAOw==" />Share this infographic with a Tweet, a Like or a Pin!
In the final post of this series The Top 5 Spanish Slang Words Searched on Google I will give you the list of Spanish slang words for girl.