The practice exercises top top this page were arisen by Dr. Mary Nielsen, Dean that the Dalton State College institution of liberal Arts.
You are watching: Independent and subordinate clauses a answers
An independent clause, also known together a an easy sentence, contains a subject and verb and also expresses a complete thought.
Example: Juliet, a border collie puppy, prefers to chase apples and pears. subject Verb
A dependency clause has actually a subject and also verb, is presented by a subordinate conjunction or a family member pronoun, however does no express a complete thought. A dependent clause is not a finish sentence.
Example: because the heavy rains flooded the enntrance gate to the subdivision. Sub. Conj. Topic Verb
Example: ~ Laura very closely read the assigned chapter. Sub. Conj. Topic Verb
Determine whether the underlined word groups are dependent clauses, live independence clauses, or no a clause.
1. Return it was raining, Maria went for a jog at Civitan Park.
2. Brianna eats coco whenever she it s okay a poor grade in math.
3. ~ the flood, the family members moved into a short-lived shelter.
4. If walking in ~ the park, John observed a raccoon eat potato chips.
5. College student enrolled in bachelor's and also associate's degree programs have to pass the Regents' Test together a graduation requirement.
6. Students that fail to display up for the Regents' test must enroll in the Regents' remediation courses.
7. When you complete your homework, you re welcome take the dog for a walk.
8. ~ Juan completed the assignment, that swam laps at the gym.
9. Christa left residence at 4:00 a.m. Since she had actually to journey to Atlanta because that a meeting.
10. Prior to completing the assignment, Evan made decision to eat a fast lunch.
Determine even if it is the underlined word groups are dependency clauses, live independence clauses, or no a clause.
See more: Where To Get Rock Climb In Diamond ? Do You Need Rock Climb In Diamond
1. Juan ongoing playing return he injured his knee.2. I believed that the sell was too great to it is in true.3. While ns was scrubbing the floors, Juliet was watching television.4. Although tired and grumpy, Laura agreed to babysit for her sister-in-law.5. Inspired and also energized, Sean solved the situation of the lacking energy drink.6. While driving home from spring break, Maria experienced a tornado touch down.7. People who drink and also drive have to be arrested.8. Ever because my daughter purchased a ferret, I have noticed the authors define their negative guys together ferret-like.9. Together descriptions are not fair to ferrets.10. Due to the fact that I can not walk to the Pancake Breakfast, I provided away my tickets.