You are watching: The characteristic bright-line spectrum of an atom is produced by
Resources irradiate emission information from the lab for specific elements modern-day Chemistry, pp. Prerequisites Bohr design of the atom, visible irradiate spectrum colorsVocabulary In the an are below, define ground state, excited state, spectral lines, heat emission spectrum
Model 1: production of an emission Spectrum
����������� InBohr�s atomic model an atom�s electrons space assigned to specific energylevels.� The atom is in its soil statewhen the electrons accounting the lowest possible energy levels.� once an electron absorbs sufficient energyit moves to a higher energy level to develop an excited state.� once the electron releases the energy, itdrops ago to a lower energy level.� energy is released in the form of light!�The wavelength that the light indicates the difference between the energyof these 2 levels.� each wavelength oflight synchronizes to a particular color of irradiate (which might or may not be in thevisible area that the spectrum).�Consequently, atom emit a characteristic collection of discrete wavelengths,not a consistent spectrum.
Since each element hasits own distinctive electron arrangement, the light that is emitted by the atomsproduces an emissions spectrum that deserve to be provided to recognize the element.� In various other words, an atomic spectrum have the right to be usedas a �fingerprint� for an aspect because it is unique for each element andreflects the power levels occupied by the electrons in one atom of the element.
First, recognize what color is observed for eachof the gas samples below.
Color of the Flame
1. What is the difference in between an excited andground state of an atom?
2. What happens as soon as electrons move from theexcited state come the ground state?
3. What colour of visible light are discovered in theemission spectrum that hydrogen?
Model 2:� energy Level diagram forthe Hydrogen Atom
����������������������������������� violetblue green red
4. What happens to the energy of the electron toproduce the observed spectral lines?
5. For the element hydrogen, i m sorry color(wavelength) of irradiate is created by the largest power drop of anelectron?� define your answer (based onthe model).
6. Which color of irradiate is produced by thesmallest power drop of an electron?�Explain her answer.
7. Why perform different facets emit various colorsof light?
8. In design 2, all of the transitions stop atn=2.� If a transition were to it is in shownin the diagram, would you suppose the light to be in the infrared or ultravioletregion of the spectrum?� define youranswer.
1. Below are the bright line spectra that fourelements and also the spectrum of one unknown gas.
See more: How Many Oranges To Make A Gallon Of Orange Juice ? How Many Oranges Make One Glass Of Juice
a) Whichelements are in the unknown?
2. In a forensic investigation, it to be suspectedthat the victim was poisoned through a toxic chemical which contains the elementcopper and also accumulates in large amounts in hair and other tissues.� utilizing your expertise of emissions spectra,design a technique by i beg your pardon you can confirm the presence of this toxin in thevictim.� include the sources andequipment girlfriend would have to make a definitive determination.