What renders some nouns autumn under the category of concrete, while other nouns space categorizedas abstract?
Read on to learn how to phone call the difference between concrete and also abstract nouns and when to usage each type.
You are watching: Which sentence contains an abstract noun
When you’re ready, test yourself with a quiz and practice with our high-quality, standards-aligned questions here.
The Basics of Concrete and also Abstract Nouns3 tips for understanding Concrete vs. Abstract NounsApplying the Basics: Common and Proper Noun review & PracticeSummary top top Concrete and also Abstract Nouns
What is a concrete noun?
A concrete noun identify something material and also non-abstract, such together a chair, a house, or an automobile. Think about everything you have the right to experience through your 5 senses: smell, touch, sight, hearing, or taste. A strawberry milkshake that tastes sweet and also feels cold is an example of a concrete noun.
What is an abstract noun?
An summary noun identify something immaterial and abstract, such together rest, dread, or transportation. Think around something you deserve to describe but do not endure with your five senses.
Scoring one ‘A’ top top a test or sinking the to win basket in a basketball video game is what we would all define as a win, a victory, or a success. Yet can you yes, really describe any type of of these nouns using your senses?
Sure, girlfriend might have the ability to feel the rubber basketball as it leaves your hand and hear the “whoosh” v the net. Girlfriend may be able to see her score on your test and also feel the weight of the paper in her hands, however none of these senses can completely capture the meaning of these abstract nouns.
What is the relationship in between concrete and also abstract nouns?
Concrete and also abstract nouns work together to allow us to interact effectively.
This list, obviously, walk not include all common and also proper nouns and is intended to be used as a overview while identifying other nouns.
For example, you may have a friend who shares with you the they feeling anxious.
You might not be familiar with this feeling, and also you are having actually trouble expertise what your friend is walk through because they used an abstract noun. You deserve to ask her friend to define what tension feels like, and also often her friend will certainly then use concrete nouns to aid you understand more clearly.
Your friend describes that his tension feels like a gigantic rock is pushing on his chest, maintaining him indigenous moving. His anxiety additionally feels like he is do the efforts to overcome a busy highway, however there space too numerous cars quickly passing by, making it difficult for him come cross.
Because your friend used concrete nouns such together rock, chest, highway, and also cars, girlfriend now have a better understanding of what the abstract noun, anxiety, must feel like. Currently you know how to aid your friend since using these various nouns together aided you both interact effectively.
How execute you usage concrete and abstract nouns?
Concrete and also abstract nouns have the right to be supplied together or separately. Authors use concrete noun to paint vivid physical descriptions that characters and also settings.
For example, in The Hobbit, the author, J. R. R. Tolkien, describes the wizard Gandalf together “an old guy with a staff with a high pointed blue hat, a long grey cloak, a silver- scarf over a white beard hung down listed below his waist, and immense black boots” (Tolkien 17).
There are several concrete noun in this sentence that give the leader a photo of what Gandalf might look like. However, to completely understand that Gandalf is personal from just his physics appearance, the writer must usage abstract nouns together well.
As the story walk on, the reader finds the end that several of Gandalf’s strengths room his wisdom and resourcefulness. Both wisdom and also resourcefulness space abstract noun that define Gandalf further by going beyond Gandalf’s outward appearance.
However, to totally understand these summary nouns, concrete nouns are necessary once again to show the concrete details of just how these strengths reveal themselves in ~ the story.
For example, Gandalf’s resourcefulness is displayed when the tricks two dangerous trolls into fighting with one an additional until the sunlight comes up, i beg your pardon then transforms the trolls right into stone.
As the trolls argue, Gandalf exclaims, “Dawn take you all, and be rock to you!” (Tolkien 51). As soon as the trolls suffer these concrete nouns and see the rising sun rotate their bodies right into stone, they realize Gandalf’s resourcefulness a small too late.
Check out our complimentary grammar review library
Return to the Table fo Contents
3 advice for expertise Concrete vs. Summary Nouns
Here room some essential tips to help you recognize the difference in between concrete and abstract nouns:
Tip #1. If you can experience the noun with one of your 5 senses, that is a concrete nounRemember, concrete nouns determine something material and also non-abstract, which method we have the right to see, taste, hear, touch, or odor it.For example, her brother’s stinky shoes room a concrete noun. You can see them, and also you can absolutely odor them.
Tip #2. If girlfriend cannot experience the noun through one or more of your 5 senses, it is an abstract nounRemember, summary nouns recognize something immaterial and also abstract, which means we can not see, taste, hear, touch, or odor it.For example, the word love is an summary noun. No one ever saw love acquisition a stroll about the ar with your pet Corgi, however most everyone understands what love is, even if we have various meanings of it.
Tip #3. Concrete noun can help us far better understand the definition of summary nounsBecause we cannot suffer abstract nouns with our 5 senses, it deserve to be an overwhelming to fully understand the meaning of certain abstract nouns.Concrete nouns assist us understand the definition of abstract nouns by comparing something immaterial come something material.For example, the summary noun bravery deserve to be better understood by compare this word come the concrete words and also actions of young name Luther King Jr. Young name Luther King Jr. Embodies the summary noun bravery due to the fact that people saw his march to defend the legal rights of every people, world heard his voice speak against the injustice happening come people around him, and also people knew his ears were always open to the stories of civilization who looked up to him.While the summary noun bravery cannot be experienced using our 5 senses, we deserve to understand that meaning much better by utilizing concrete noun such as march, voice, and also ears.
Return to the Table fo Contents
Start Practicing ~ above snucongo.org Now
Select the concrete noun(s) in the sentences below. Remember, these nouns determine something product that deserve to be knowledgeable using one or an ext of the 5 senses.
1. The chestnut brown equine galloped across the field, the shimmer of it’s golden mane imitated by the waving grass.In this sentence, horse, field, shimmer, mane, and also grass space all concrete nouns due to the fact that they have the right to be knowledgeable by one or more of the five senses, specifics sight.
2. The warmth of the sunlight beat under mercilessly on the football players, forcing several players to take it a break to drink long gulps the cold water.In this sentence, heat, sun, players, gulps, and also water space concrete nouns due to the fact that they deserve to all be seen, tasted, or felt. The noun rest is not underlined due to the fact that it describes a avoid in time and cannot be experienced by one or much more of the five senses. Therefore, it is an summary noun.
3. As she leaned her head outside the window, she can smell the fresh-cut grass and also newly-mulched flower beds.In this sentence, head, window, grass, and flower beds are all concrete nouns because they deserve to all be viewed or smelled.
4. He adjusted the sound top top his airpods so that he can hear the violin more clearly.In this sentence, sound, airpods, and also violin are all concrete nouns since they deserve to be viewed with the senses the sight and also hearing.
5. The flames crackled and hissed atop the dry brush, spreading frantically across the forest in smoky gusts.In this sentence, flames, brush, forest, and gusts are all concrete nouns. The flames have the right to be seen and also heard spreading across the dried branches, and the smoky gusts deserve to be seen, smelled, and also even felt as it burns ours eyes.
Pro tip: When examining whether a noun is concrete, ask yourself, “Can I experience it utilizing one or much more of the five senses?”
Check the end our complimentary grammar evaluation library
Select the abstract noun(s) in the sentences below. Remember, this nouns identify something immaterial and also abstract that cannot be skilled using any kind of of the 5 senses.
1. His fear consumed him favor a hungry beast spend its prey.In this sentence, fear is the only abstract noun since it is the only noun that cannot be competent using any of the five senses. Other nouns such together beast and prey can automatically be visualized in our minds, making these nouns concrete.
2. She unwillingness to with an covenant stalled the proceedings.In this sentence, unwillingness, agreement, and proceedings space all summary nouns the express miscellaneous immaterial and cannot be skilled using any type of of the 5 senses.
3. His concern over the Friday night video game consumed him and also caused his fail on his biology exam.In this sentence, worry and also failure space both abstract nouns that recognize something immaterial and also cannot be knowledgeable using any kind of of the 5 senses.
4. Among Abraham Lincoln’s objectives as president was to end slavery and also declare flexibility from compelled servitude.In this sentence, slavery, freedom, and also servitude space all summary nouns because they all stand for something immaterial the cannot be skilled using the five senses.
5. In his sonnets, Shakespeare regularly wrote around love, to compare his subject to the beauty of the natural world.In this sentence, love and beauty are both abstract nouns that express something immaterial that cannot be skilled using the five senses.
Pro tip: When analyzing whether a noun is abstract, ask yourself, “Can I suffer it utilizing one or more of the five senses? If the answer is no, then the noun is abstract.”
For additional practice, check out Concrete and also Abstract Nouns content on snucongo.org.
Start Practicing on snucongo.org Now
1. Walk a concrete noun identify something product or immaterial?Answer: MaterialCorrect Explanation: it is right! A concrete noun identifies something product like a car, a ball, or a dog.Incorrect Explanation: Sorry, that’s not right! Remember, a concrete noun identify something material that can be competent by one or much more of the five senses.
2. Does an summary noun recognize something product or immaterial?Answer: ImmaterialCorrect Explanation: that’s right! An summary noun identify something summary or immaterial like justice, freedom, or peace.Incorrect Explanation: Sorry, that’s no right! Remember, an abstract noun identifies something immaterial that cannot be competent by any kind of of the 5 senses.
3. In this sentence, room the underlined indigenous concrete or abstract nouns?
“We will certainly not it is in satisfied until justice roll down prefer waters and also righteousness like a mighty stream” (King Jr.).Answer: ConcreteCorrect Explanation: that’s right! The nouns waters and stream room concrete since they describe something material that can be both seen and touched.Incorrect Explanation: Sorry, that’s no right! Remember, a concrete noun identify something material that deserve to be skilled by one or much more of the five senses.
4. In this sentence, are the underlined native concrete or summary nouns?
“We will certainly not be satisfied till justice rolfes down favor waters and righteousness choose a mighty stream” (King Jr.).Answer: AbstractCorrect Explanation: that’s right! The nouns justice and also righteousness space both abstract due to the fact that they refer to something immaterial that cannot be competent by any of the 5 senses.Incorrect Explanation: Sorry, that’s not right! Remember, an summary noun identify something immaterial the cannot be competent by any kind of of the five senses.
5. In this sentence, are the underlined indigenous concrete or abstract nouns?
The love I have actually for her knows no limit.Answer: AbstractCorrect Explanation: that’s right! The noun love and limit room both abstract since they describe something immaterial the cannot be experienced by any kind of of the five senses.Incorrect Explanation: Sorry, that’s no right! Remember, an abstract noun identifies something immaterial that cannot be experienced by any type of of the five senses.
6. In this sentence, room the underlined words concrete or abstract nouns?
The excited puppy let out a delighted bark as he play contentedly v his red rubber ball.Answer: ConcreteCorrect Explanation: it is right! The nouns puppy, bark, and ball are concrete since they describe something product that deserve to be both seen and touched.Incorrect Explanation: Sorry, that’s no right! Remember, a concrete noun identifies something product that deserve to be proficient by one or much more of the five senses.
For additional practice through concrete and abstract nouns, check out our completely free practice ~ above snucongo.org: Concrete and Abstract Nouns.
Return to the Table fo Contents
Teacher’s corner for Concrete and also Abstract Nouns
Concrete and abstract nouns space a foundational, third grade grammar ability according to the typical Core State Standards, the usual Core English Language Progressive skills Chart reflects that even elementary-level skills “require ongoing attention in greater grades as they are applied to increasingly advanced writing and speaking.”
snucongo.org’s concrete and abstract noun practice have the right to be provided for more than just homework! our assessments deserve to be used as pre-and post-tests to measure up student progress. Our pre-made quizzes deserve to be provided as bell-ringers, departure tickets, and more!
In addition to our pre-made assessments, girlfriend can also use ours assignments attribute to create your very own quizzes and also assessments.
Check the end our cost-free grammar evaluation library
Return to the Table fo Contents
Summary ~ above Concrete and Abstract Nouns
Concrete nouns identify something material and also non-abstract that can be skilled by one or an ext of the 5 senses.
Abstract nouns identify something immaterial and also abstract that cannot be experienced by any of the 5 senses.
Concrete and abstract nouns deserve to be used in tandem v one one more or separately. Be sure to examine out our totally free grammar course for much more concrete and abstract noun practice.
You have the right to also access over 3,400 free, high-quality inquiries that address nearly every grammar concept.
See more: Does Mugwort Show Up On Drug Tests, Mugwort In Urine Tests
Need aid preparing for your Grammar exam?
snucongo.org has actually hundreds the grammar exercise questions with in-depth explanations to help you master concepts.